One of the most used vegetables in salads and sandwiches, cucumber is often referred to as a ‘superfood’. This green vegetable is a sure shot favourite of all the health-conscious people. This is one such veggie that finds its way in most Indian homes as soon as summers arrive. Well, cucumber has some exciting health and beauty benefits that will make you pick it up right now.
#1. Instant glow
Cucumber is known to have slight bleaching properties that can help you in getting rid of skin tanning. In fact, skin burns can also be treated with cucumber paste. Not just that, it also helps in giving your skin that desired glow.
#2. Rejuvenated skin
The high amount of water content in cucumber flushes out toxins from your system, hydrates your skin, and helps to tackle skin woes.
#3. Fairer complexion
The silica present in this wonder vegetable improves skin complexion and makes skin radiant. Grate a cucumber and squeeze the juice. Dab it on your skin with clean cotton balls, and wash your face with cold water after 10 minutes. You will notice the glow in no time!
#4. Acne marks
To lighten acne marks, prepare a mixture of cucumber juice and lemon juice and apply it on acne scars. But, don’t expect immediate results. Improvement will be noticeable over the course of time.
For a blemish-free skin, blend a cucumber until it is entirely liquid, and then add rosemary essential oil and egg white in it. Apply this paste evenly on your face, and wash it off after 15 minutes. This way, you are sure going to get that silky smooth skin.
#6. Anti-ageing benefits
It is filled with antioxidants, like beta-carotene and lutein, which help to fight free radicals in your body. This provides protection to the skin against the signs of ageing.
#7. Puffy eyes
Cucumber skin contains vitamin C and caffeic acid, both of which prevent water retention and reduce skin irritation. This explains why cucumber slices work as natural eye pads and are used topically to tackle puffiness around your eyes.
#8. Chlorine-damaged hair
Love to go for a swim, but have an overriding anxiety that chlorine will damage your hair? Worry no more! Dive into the pool fearlessly, but before that prepare a conditioner to counter chlorine damage. Blend 1 cucumber, 1 egg and 1 tbsp. olive oil well. Apply this mixture on your hair evenly. Leave it on for 15 minutes before thoroughly rinsing it off. Use it regularly for best results.
#9. Strengthens hair
Drinking cucumber juice will provide your body with silicon, sodium, calcium, sulphur, etc., all of which are the nutrients that are needed for hair growth and hair strengthening. All you need to do is, rinse your hair with cucumber juice regularly and you will get silky, shiny hair soon.
#10. Tackles cellulite problems
If you are looking for natural ways to tackle cellulite problems, then let cucumbers be your go-to food. Eating cucumbers help to treat cellulite. Rubbing its slices on the problem area can help you to get rid of cellulite. You can also prepare a paste of cucumber juice, grounded coffee and honey. Now, apply it on the problematic area. Wrap this in a muslin cloth for 30 minutes before exfoliating and rinsing it off.
#11. Hydrates the body from inside
With a sudden spike in temperature, the only way to fight dehydration is drinking ample amount of water. But if you are too busy, eat more and more cucumbers as they contain over 90 per cent water. This helps in flushing the toxins out of your system for good and keeping the internal system clean.
#12. Aids in weight loss
Being high in water content and low in calories make it perfect for those who are trying to lose weight. Cucumber is one of the best sources of dietary fibre as its flesh, seeds and membranes contain a high amount of nutrients. Also, it contains no saturated fats or cholesterol.
#13. Fights bad breath
Dental care routine includes brushing twice a day and flossing, but ever thought of adding cucumbers? Cucumbers contain a phytochemical that is known to fight the anaerobic bacteria that cause bad breath. Cut a slice of a cucumber and hold it on the roof of your mouth with the help of your tongue for about 30 seconds. Try it to believe it!
#14. Cures headaches
Sort your nightmare of having a hangover before you doze off after a night of merrymaking. Cucumbers contain electrolytes, vitamin B and sugar. So, eat a few slices before going to bed to replenish your system with these essential nutrients. This helps in reducing the severity of a headache the morning after.
#15. Soothes sunburn
Cucumber helps in soothing sunburn and also reduces sunburnt marks. It has retention properties which helps in drawing out latent heat present beneath the skin.
#16. Fights open pores
Cucumber helps in treating open pores and heat bumps in legs. Just mix cucumber paste with aloe vera gel (optional) and use it as toner in the areas where there are open pores. As mentioned in the previous point, cucumber helps in absorbing heat which eventually leads to coolness and closing of open pores.
#17. Reduces dark circles
High amount of silica and antioxidants present in cucumber helps in fading of dark circles under the eyes. Cucumber rejuvenates the vessels under the eyes and brings back its natural glow.
#18. Keeps renal system healthy
Cucumber is, after all, a diuretic food that helps in reducing toxins from the body. This aids in improving the urinary system of the body. All that you need to do is drink cucumber juice on a daily basis.
#19. Improves digestion
Because of the high amount of fibre present in the cucumber, it helps in improving the digestion system of the body. In this age when we are surrounded by junk foods, cucumber is the best option to break all the fats of the tummy.
1) The minerals present in cucumber regulate the body’s blood pH levels and neutralises the acidity.
2) It keeps uric acid in check, which is known to cause inflammation in the joints and the silica strengthens connective tissues of the joint.
3) The seeds of cucumber are diuretic and broom the gut to alleviate constipation.
4) It also contains compounds called sterols that keep a check on cholesterol level.
5) Potassium, fibre and magnesium in this veggie regulate blood pressure.
6) Lariciresinol, pinoresinol and secoisolariciresinol present in cucumber are known to reduce the risk of various cancers, including breast, ovarian, prostate and uterine.
7) Last, but not the least, cucumbers also help to relieve stress. Eating this amazing vitamin-rich veggie can help to regulate the functioning of adrenal glands. This is known to counter the effects of stress on your body.
What are the benefits of cucumber for hair and skin?
- Hydrates the body which increases the glow of your skin.
- Silicon and sulphur present in cucumber aids in controlling the hair fall
- Rich is silica (the beauty mineral), cucumbers are best for the skin.
Why should you not eat cucumber at night?
Cucumber contains an ingredient called cucurbitacin. This element can lead to indigestion in certain people, especially if they have a sensitive digestive system. Indigestion triggers bloating and flatulence.
What are the side-effects of eating cucumber?
- If taken in large quantities, or small quantities but multiple times daily, cucumbers can hamper the electrolyte balance of your body which eventually leads to excess loss of fluid. Cucumber seeds contain cucurbitin which are diuretic in nature, and because of these seeds, excessive amounts could leave you dehydrated.
- Excessive intake can increase the amount of Vitamin C in your body which triggers the spread of free radicals. And when that happens, you are prone to acne, ageing problems and even cancer